Please read all details carefully before applying.
To be eligible for the TSYJO you must…
- be aged between 12 – 24yrs inclusive
- read music
- practice every day
- play either Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Piano, Bass, Drums, Guitar, or Sing
- be a resident or student studying in Scotland
You can apply at any time of the year by submitting your audition application using the link below.
Recorded Audition Submission
The TSYJO recorded audition submission is designed to assess your improvisational skills. Submit a video of yourself performing the Anthropology by Charlie Parker with a live rhythm section or a play-a-long/minus-one backing track.
Performance of Anthropology in Bb concert, by Charlie Parker at any tempo above 170bpm [Singers may Scat the melody and alter the key to suit their range.] You must perform the Anthropology melody plus a minimum of 3 improvised choruses [AABA x 3] of improvisation.
Drummers should play the melody AABA rhythmically then play time for 1 chorus AABA then improvise 2 choruses before playing the melody rhythmically again.
Bassists should play the melody AABA then play walking time for 1 chorus AABA then improvise 2 choruses before playing the melody AABA to end the performance.
- All improvisation is to be original
- Performances of a transcribed solo are not permitted
- Miming to an overdubbed recording is not permitted
- Performances have to be performed live and in one single take
- The audition video must be uploaded to a file sharing service (such as Dropbox, WeTransfer, Google Drive, Box.net etc.) or a private link on a video hosting platform (such as Vimeo or Youtube) and the link submitted together with your application.
You may then be called for a live audition with the TSYJO.
What Happens After Auditions?
We will contact you within 2 weeks of the audition to advise you if you are being offered a place in the TSYJO.