One of the most influential guitarists and musicians of the twentieth century, Jaco Pastorius brought the bass guitar to the melodic forefront of jazz ……
“Jaco Pastorius may well have been the last jazz musician of the 20th century to have made a major impact on the musical world at large. The only post 1970 jazz musician to be known on a first name basis by music fans worldwide …..to this day, he remains the one and the only JACO.” Pat Metheny
Jaco Pastorius is recognised globally as a legend in the guitar world, who brought the bass guitar to the melodic forefront of jazz (and pop music) while propelling the rhythm with unstoppable energy. His big band, the Word of Mouth Orchestra, was renowned for blending rhythm & blues, Caribbean sunshine, bebop momentum and rocking intensity into a sizzling, creative fiesta.
The Scottish National Jazz Orchestra is delighted to feature the extraordinarily talents of bass guitarist Laurence Cottle, in a celebration of the music of the legendary Jaco Pastorius and recreate some of his greatest tracks for your enjoyment.
The evening will also feature guest percussionist, Marcio Doctor and flautist, Gareth Lockrane
NB There will be a pre-concert discussion with Tommy Smith and Laurence Cottle at 6.45pm each night
- Celebrating Jaco: The Music of Jaco PastoriusThe name of Jaco Pastorius is legendary in the jazz world; one of the few musicians who can be recognised by their first name alone. Pastorius was a musical genius who effectively reinvented the playing of bass guitar, bringing the […]
- Why Jazz Is For Everyone – SNJO ReviewAs the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra play their last concert of the year you can see why they are considered by many to be one of the best contemporary big bands in Europe. The sheer level of passion, enthusiasm & expression, […]
- Jaco Pastorius BBC Radio documentaryJaco Pastorius Documentary fusing BBC radio audio & Google images.
- The Life and Music of Jaco Pastorius by Pat Metheny“Jaco Pastorius may well have been the last jazz musician of the 20th century to have made a major impact on the musical world at large. Everywhere you go,sometimes it seems like a dozen times a day, in the most […]
- Jaco! The Music of Pastorius featuring Laurence CottleOne of the most influential guitarists and musicians of the twentieth century, Jaco Pastorius brought the bass guitar to the melodic forefront of jazz ……